Hello everyone! I originally had a book review lined up for today, but then I was nominated for this award by the awesome Jesse over at Books at Dawn, and I just had to do it. Thank you so, so much again for nominating me, Jesse. Your questions are fantastic, and I can’t wait to do them and be challenged by them!
~ Thank the blogger who nominated you, and provide a link back to their site
~ Answer the ten questions sent to you
~ Make up ten new questions for your nominees to answer
~ Nominate ten blogs
1) You’ve committed a crime and are going to jail for life. The judge allows you to bring three books with you and those are the only three books you’ll be reading for the rest of your life. Which three are they?
Oh my God. This is the hardest question ever, mainly because I’m not much of a re-reader. But if I absolutely had to pick three books that I could re-read over and over again, I would pick:
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling: this is not only a wonderful book, but it’s such a brilliant conclusion to the series. You get to see almost all of the characters involved in the series at some point, and you get to see how they’ve developed as they grew up, and the ending is pretty much happy, so yay.
2. The Secret History by Donna Tartt: because I’ve been wanting to re-read this for a very long time, but I just haven’t had the chance to. Tartt’s writing is to die for. I could live on her writing and her characterization. This book is phenomenal, wonderful, perfect, and it deserves every bit of praise it gets.
3. Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas: because I need my Chaol to be with me while I’m in jail. Okay, so this isn’t even one of my favorite books, but it’s light and it contains one of my favorite swoon-worthy male characters of all time, so yes. I need me some Chaol. Can’t live without him in my fictional life.
2) Pick three characters from your favorite book and play the F*ck, Marry, Kill game.
Even though my favorite book is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I’m not going to choose that because all the characters are younger than me, and that’s just kinda creepy… and illegal. So again, I’m going to go for the Throne of Glass characters: Celaena, Dorian and Chaol.
I would kill Celaena, because she becomes a horrible person/character. I’d f*ck Dorian ’cause why the hell not? He’s cute. And I’d marry Chaol BECAUSE CHAOL BBY IS EVERYTHING.
3) You’ve been granted a magical power from the Gods. Which power is it and why?
I would love to be able to teleport. That’d be cool. Also, it would humor my laziness.
4) You’ve been in a relationship with your man/woman and things are getting serious, but out of the blue they ask you to choose them or your books. Which do you choose and why?
This isn’t as hard as I initially thought it would be. After some thought, I realized that I would never want to stay with a person who couldn’t accept such a huge part of me and my life. So, I’d choose my books.
5) You’re being held at gun point but the shooter says he will set you free if you burn three of your books. Which three would you choose?
~ The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle, because it was a horrible book with no substance, an irrelevant and unrealistic romance and unbearable teen angst.
~ Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover, because every time I think about that book and its glorification of cheating and horrible people, it makes me angry.
~ The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson, because that book was everything a book shouldn’t be. And because Jandy Nelson’s other book is brilliant and I own that.
6) Hero, Assasin, or Prince/Princess? You can only pick one. Which do you choose to be in a story with you as the main character?
Is it a cliché if I say hero? Whenever I read fantasy novels with a cute knight (aka Chaol), or a young guy in a high power (aka Arin), or even an ex-crime lord on the mend (aka Han Alister), I get the warm fuzzies.
7) There is a new law coming into effect. It bans (insert genre here) genre from ever being read/written again. Which genre would you choose?
Erotica. Mmhmm, definitely erotica.
8) With wanting more diversity in books nowadays, what is one aspect you believe should be represented more and why?
I think one of the things that bothers me most about books and entertainment, in general, nowadays is that a person of color is often used as a plot device to further the narrative of the main white character. I think this does more harm than not having PoC characters at all. No PoC characters means an author can’t abuse their value, but when a PoC is used just as a stepping stool for the white main’s character development, it implies that people of color are unimportant otherwise.
9) Your favorite author is going to call you for a once in a lifetime chance to talk. You can only ask them one question. Who is the author and what is the question? Why?
Well, in all honesty, if J.K. Rowling were to call me, I’d probably stutter and die on the spot. This might sound super, super cheesy but I’d ask her if she’s happy. Jo is one of those people that are always on my mind- she’s been through so much in her life, and now that she’s one of the most successful people in the world, she hasn’t turned her back on the underprivileged. She’s a role model through and through. And she’s been through so much. Just hearing her talk about her poverty, about her childhood and about her severe clinical depression makes me tear up. The woman who handed me my childhood on a silver plate while I was going through a tough time barely had one herself. So yeah. I guess I’d ask her if she’s happy. *blushing furiously*
10) If your favorite ship doesn’t end up together by the end of the book, would you give it a low rating and why?
Okay, I just read Queen of Shadows and my ship didn’t end up together. And even though their ending up together did play a part in my disappointment, that was not the whole reason why I gave the book a low rating. Maybe that was 20% of the reason. See, it’s not about who ends up with who as long as the end-game is genuine and makes sense. As long as it can be traced back by studying the foreshadowing in earlier books etc. So no, if the book was wonderful and my ship wasn’t end-game, I wouldn’t give it a low rating.
1. Pick one of your favorite books, and construct a playlist for it. Try to choose between 5-8 songs that fit the theme and tone of this book.
2. If you could be best friends with one character, who would it be? Why do you think you’d get along, and what would you two fight about if there were to be fights?
3. If you could live in one fictional world, where would you live?
4. Books have some of the most wonderful quotes among them. Which is one of your favorite quotes, and why does it resonate with you?
5. Someone tells you that they’re trying to get into reading, but they have no idea where to start. When you ask them their genre preferences, they’re clueless. Give them a recommendation for: a fantasy, a contemporary, a non-fiction, a classic and a genre of your choice.
6. There’s a zombie apocalypse and zombies are approaching your house. You have to leave as soon as possible, and you can only take one book with you. Which book do you take?
7. If you could redesign one book cover, which would it be, and what would you change?
8. Pick one of your favorite books, one that hasn’t yet been made into a movie. Tell us your dream fan-cast.
9. What was the most disappointing book of 2015 so far?
10. If you could have one fictional animal as a pet, what would it be?
For those of you wondering, I always like to nominate some of my newest followers. As a thank you, as well as a chance to get to know them a little better. If you don’t get the chance to get to the award, that’s totally fine! And if you do get a chance to get to doing this, do tag me! I’d love to read all your answers. <3
~ Nicolette @ A Little Bookish, A Little Writerly
~ Paige @ Page by Paige (awesome blog title, by the way!)
~ Jenny @ Reader in a Reverie
~ Giselle @ Hardwork Boulevard
~ Jenaca @ JenacideByBibliophile
~ Bailey @ PlanandRead
~ Marie @ drizzle and hurricane books
~ Calliope @ Calliope the Book Goddess
~ Amy @ Book Enthral
~ Leslie and Rebekah @ Aurelia
That’s it for today. Thank you so much for reading, and have a wonderful day! x