Current Status: Open
What is a sensitivity reader?
Writing in the Margins explains:
A sensitivity reader reads through a manuscript for issues of representation and for instances of bias on the page. The goal of a sensitivity reader isn’t to edit a manuscript for clarity and logic, although that may be an additional service offered. A sensitivity reader reviews a manuscript for internalized bias and negatively charged language. A sensitivity reader is there to help make sure you do not make a mistake, but they are also NOT a guarantee against making a mistake.
Note: I urge you to hire several sensitivity readers, as people are never unidimensional. We are not monoliths, we have very different experiences, and although there are some overarching agreements about what is and isn’t culturally/racially sensitive amongst a community that shares an identity, one person’s sensitivity read does NOT guarantee that your work will not be criticized by someone else, sharing the same identity, in the future.
What my services are
Essentially, I – as a sensitivity reader – will be reading your manuscript in-depth and in full at least once. I will do my utmost best to provide you feedback that will help you ensure that your manuscript isn’t insensitive, -ist or -phobic, and isn’t filled with negative or racially (among others) charged language. I am not a beta reader; I will not provide line edits, or a “review” of your book with regards to elements like character development or excitability. I will do my job as a sensitivity reader by telling you whether or not the marginalized people you have ‘represented’ in your manuscript are accurately and sensitively done.
Every manuscript that I read will receive:
- Notes throughout the manuscript
- A letter at the end, detailing my overall thoughts and experience of the themes and issues of representation
- Suggestions as to what can be improved
- When applicable, redirection to resources that may help you improve
An academic and professional resumé
- I am currently a senior at New York University with an intended Bachelors in Science in Applied Psychology, with a minor in Creative Writing.
- GPA: 3.7/4.0
- List of relevant coursework:
- Two advanced academic writing courses
- Four advanced creative fiction writing courses
- Psychology coursework includes:
- Clinical psychology
- Personality theories
- Abnormal psychology
- Childhood trauma
- Sleep disorders
- Music therapy
- Social psychology
- Developmental psychology
- Families, schools and child development
- Childhood trauma
- Cultural differences in psychology
- Clinical psychology
- Liberal arts coursework includes:
- Advanced study of Urdu
- Interpretation of modern contemporary art
- History courses in:
- Antiquity and enlightenment periods
- Immigration in the United Kingdom, from the Vikings to modern day
- British imperialism
- U. S. Foreign Policy
- List of work experience:
- A bookseller at Barnes & Noble Booksellers
- A public tutor at a New York City public school (worked primarily with pre-K children)
- Interned at Macmillan Publishing
- Current intern at the Nordoff-Robbins Center for Music Therapy
List of expertise
- Race and ethnicity expertise:
- Pakistani culture
- Includes life in Pakistan (I have spent my entire life in Pakistan, save the past four years), culture, food, dress, politics, laws, history, and values
- South Asian identities
- With a sharp focus on Pakistan and India
- Desi culture
- Focusing on the cultures of the Indian subcontinent (Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh), collective history regarding British colonialism, diaspora desis.
- Film industries, music, food, overarching identities
- Lore, mythology (mainly Islamic)
- Being South Asian/desi in the United States
- Stereotypical portrayals
- Pakistani culture
- Religious expertise
- Muslim, but non-practising (i. e. I believe in the religion, but don’t practice it for whatever reason).
- Growing up non-practicing in an Islamic society
- Islamic history, culture, laws, beliefs, historical figures, lore, and practices.
- Immigration expertise
- Immigration process from Pakistan to the US
- Airport checks
- Racial profiling of brown Muslims
- Immigrant living in New York City
- Body expertise
- Fat-shaming culture and family
- Language expertise
- Speak, read, write Urdu
- Speak, read, write English
- Speak, understand Hindi
- Understand Punjabi
- Psychological expertise
- An ongoing Bachelors degree in applicable Psychology (with fieldwork experience and research experience) from a top-tier US university
- Personal experiences with social anxiety
- Personal experience with mental health in a culture where it’s considered taboo
- Family experiences
- Only child
- Have experience with a sibling’s death as a child
- Young Adult Literature
- Fantasy (epic, high, urban, paranormal, historical fantasy etc).
- Science fiction (including dystopian, utopian, futuristic, intergalactic, climate, etc.)
- Historical fiction (only in the areas of my expertise)
- Adult fiction
- Literary fiction
- Fantasy (epic, high, urban, paranormal, historical fantasy etc.)
- Historical fiction (in areas of my expertise)
- Romance (no erotica, though)
I will expect full payment when you send along your manuscript. This guarantees a sensitivity read. Money can be sent to me via:
- Visa gift card
- Personal check
The fee is non-refundable, unless I cannot read your manuscript for any reason or another. If this is the case, I will charge you for the number of words I HAVE read, and provide you detailed feedback, but will refund the amount of what I could not read.
- 5,000 – 10,000 words = $75
- 10,000 – 30,000 words = $175
- 30,000 – 60,000 words = $275
- 60,000 – 100,000 words = $350
- 100,000 + words = $450 (base price) + # of words ($0.005/word)
- For example: if you send me a manuscript of 115,000 words, I will charge you $450 + (0.005 * 15,000) = $525
- If you send me a manuscript of 130,000 words, I will charge $450 + (0.005 * 30,000) = $600
Terms & Conditions
- You may not disclose my identity as your sensitivity reader to anyone. If you reveal my identity, without express permission, you will be blacklisted.
- You may not use my sensitivity read as a scapegoat, or a justification, for any sensitivity flaws another reader finds in your work in the future. My sensitivity read is not an endorsement of the themes in your book, nor does it exempt you from criticism.
- I will not disclose any information about your work or your identity to anyone; I will not discuss the sensitivity read with anyone, but if I decide to read the finished copy of your book, I have the right to criticize it as I would any other book.
Please contact me if, and only if, you have read the above information, and are in full agreement of it. You can contact me if you have any questions, but please, only do so if you have read everything thoroughly.